Apr 18, 2012

Do You Have a Plan?

I'm excited. I'm starting something new again. Well, it's not quite new. It's been hanging around for years. But I'm starting it. Again. For real this time. I'm committed. I'm motivated. And I'm taking steps.

Today, someone asked me "Do you have a plan?" A plan? "Yeah. Do you have a plan?"

Do I need a plan? I mean, I just started. Albeit again. I just committed. Albeit finally. I trust it has all been in God's timing, the starting of this "new thing." His hand has been too evident in it to not believe that. And progress, too, will be in God's hands.

But isn't it true that failing to plan is the same as planning to fail? That's what common, modern, business enthusiasm would prescribe. Right? It makes sense. I'm restraining myself from reciting all the logical and very sensible reasons why this axiom is so prevalent. I know them all. They all make sense. They are boundaries and maps for our frail human determination. We need to have a plan to make progress. Don't we?

Why I'm restraining myself from the logical plan-making instead of just doing it, I'm not sure. Maybe it's because I'd like to think that my lack of schedule and planning is somehow more "spiritually led" and thus more spiritual. That would justify it right? It certainly sounds better than I'm lazy or scatterbrained. Maybe it's because I want to make sure that God will get all the credit for any positive results because I would not have had MY plan to lean on. Maybe it's because I don't like planning. I just like being excited and starting something. Maybe it's because I like the element of surprise and newness each day when God unfolds what He wants me to do that day, instead of me knowing in advance what I intend to do and then being disappointed when it happens differently. I also like the excitement that ensues when I have "no idea where any of this is leading" but then suddenly I look back over the past months and see some awesome road that has been forged through a jungle.

No. I don't have a plan. At least not yet. Maybe never. Unless my plan is to follow God's prompting each day. Unless I get a plan FROM God tomorrow. Then I'll have a plan. You know what? I'm changing my answer. To: 

"Yes. I have a plan. But it's God's plan and He hasn't revealed it to me yet."

No comments:

Post a Comment