May 7, 2011

Facing Backward

Seeing your future - God's will in your life - which direction you should take - is like facing backwards while walking forward. Not walking backwards over the same path previously traveled. Facing backward means you cannot see in the direction in which you are traveling. You don't know what is ahead of you, but you can see clearly what is behind you. A lot like life, right?

If you try to rush, you will stumble and fall, or crash. If you don't move at all, you will obviously never get any where. You will be stagnant...stuck...or maybe even decide to go back on the path where you can see and it's familiar.

But if you take careful, slow steps, you can "feel" your way. You will be able to detect slight changes in the path and adjust your step to stay on course. You may also notice something left behind on the path by someone who traveled it before you. Maybe something placed intentionally for you, to help direct you, or encourage you? Maybe clues - that were carelessly dropped or lost along the way - as to what worked well or not-so-well for others gone before you.

"Facing Backward" is about living life in an intentional way. Taking slow, careful steps; all the while watching for clues to indicate which way you should be traveling. Watching where you've been to see how much progress you have made - not to stay there or return there.

As much as I would like, I have not been able to face forward and see clearly where I am going in life. I can easily freeze in fear of taking the wrong step or tripping. But the more often I can keep moving slowly, the more confidence I gain in being able to take those steps despite the fear.

I'm lucky enough to sometimes glance over my shoulder and get a peripheral peek at what's to come. Those glimpses are vivid, enticing, and are so bright that they temporarily blind me to the scene behind me. They are burned into my memory and serve as road maps that deliver assurance and determination in the direction I'm going.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, this is so awesome!! I relate so much to the fear of moving ahead, facing the unknown; but have also discovered how fabulous it feels to take those slow careful steps despite the fear, perhaps even to the point of conquering the fear! Very, very well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete