May 8, 2011

Thoughts on Mothers' Day

A friend told me the other day that her devotional talked about the origins of Mother's Day. It said that Mother's Day originated after the Civil War when mothers gathered in an attempt to create more unity between the north and the south. It was about mothers uniting and making a difference.

That got me thinking and I did a very quick internet search on the origins of Mothers' Day. Although there were many explanations, original traditions, timelines, and spiritual backgrounds, it was clear that the practice of honoring mothers is a relatively new tradition.

My reaction to this information surprised me. It was a sort of relief.  Instead of expecting to be honored, I felt more of a feeling of honor toward the women that have gone before us. And I felt honored just to be associated with these women of courage and strength and caring and passion.

My thoughts turned toward rising to that honor. I don't want to be honored just because I gave birth. I think we should honor all women for their roles as care-takers, ministers to the soul, encouragers, supporters, and so much more. I want to be that kind of woman (a Proverbs 31 woman?). 

I am very blessed to have many women in my life that are worthy of being honored for the sacrifices they make and the passion they have for righteousness. They are all role models to me. I want to thank them all for how they have impacted my life. I pray I never stop trying to rise to that honor.

Thank You! to Mom, Grandma, and all the women in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment