May 6, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mike!


Two days ago I decided I would start a blog...soon. I decided I needed to set a deadline for myself or I'd spend a month trying to make it look perfect and not have any words on it. Today I decided, while in the restroom during lunch, that today was my deadline. You see, I had gathered (at the restaurant, not in the restroom) with my brothers, sister-in-laws, parents, and grandma, to celebrate the life of my brother Mike. Mike would have been 50 today, but the Lord took him home this past September 5. Why wait to start my blog? I am starting it today, in Mike's honor, on his birthday. The "pretty" can wait...I'm sure Mike would appreciate that.
Returning to the table, Paul showed me his Facebook post for the day:
Happy Birthday I look to the sky
Happy Birthday with a tear in my eye
Happy Birthday this is still your day
Happy Birthday I wish you would have stayed

Happy Birthday Mike!
5-6-61 / 9-5-10
 
    

Paul 

That's when I decided on the topic for the first post. 
After lunch, a trip to the cemetery included prayer, tears, stories, laughter, music and a motorcycle.
This is our view at the cemetery. I'm sure Mike's view would look much more like an aerial photo.
We miss you, Mike.

Curious about the title of the blog "Facing Backward"?
Thought so.

2 comments:

  1. On May 6th 2011
    We gathered and looked toward Heaven
    Thoughts of what could have been
    memories of way back when

    The sun shown down
    warming the spring ground
    alone we stood together
    over our missed brother

    He continues to make us all laugh
    and still fills us with joy
    We pray for his path
    and for those who miss their little boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Thank you, pepper, for the poem, the prayers, and for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete