May 16, 2011

Service and ME

Every since writing that last post, I have been bothered by how whiney it sounded. I would just delete it, but then this post wouldn't make sense as a followup to it! Sure, I was thanking someone for great service, but that was just the exclamation point at the end of how much I don't expect good service, and how rare I believe it is.

Deep down, when I was writing about my stress in dealing with service personnel, I was wondering where I fell on that servant scale. From one to ten, if one is "hate serving, and people" and ten is "service with a (sincere) smile," I was feeling like I'm definitely in the lower end most of the time.

Of course, when it's something I enjoy doing, and/or something I'm getting paid to dedicate my time to, I can cheerfully serve and feel like I'm doing a service. But...how often is that...really?

In my daily routine, when it imposes on my time, or is outside my job description...
Do I happily serve my family in a way the helps improve their day?
Do I notice when someone at the store needs a hand with groceries?  And then offer that hand?
Do I pleasantly let the anxious person at the stop sign go out of turn?
Do I thank the attendants and cashiers I interact with?
Do I listen to a friend - or stranger - with a heartache or frustration?
Do I notice how much I have, compared to others in my community, and find a way to share?

I could go on and on with ideas, but I would have to answer all of them "not usually."
If I think of how delighted I was with the simple act of good service I experienced last week, I should link that to how I could also be someone who could pass on a little delight.

Funny thing is, I know it would make my day better also, to know I was a part of sharing a little delight with someone else. Why don't I more often? Intentionality. I want to more often. I want to be more intentional about serving others.

In the analogy of Facing Backwards...I want to slow down on the path so I can make sure I'm going the right direction and that I'm paying attention to the clues that I'm tripping over. I want to slow down enough that I will notice others on their paths, too. Not just stare at my path and worry about if I'm comfortable...or complain because I'm tripping over someone's pain...or get frustrated because I have to slow down when my path intersects another. Those intersections are where the opportunities to serve are.

That's what I wanted to say.

Please post a comment if...
You have a suggestion on out-of-the-box or out-of-my-comfort-zone ways to be intentional about serving.
You have a story about a way that you served, or were served, that is inspirational, fun, or unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment